Monday, October 12, 2009

Busy times.....

Man we have been so busy lately. Our schedules have gotten so crazy lately that I just feel like we need to unplug and take a vacation.

I mean, we're always busy, and as it gets closer to the holidays that only increases, but it seems like lately we've just had so much more going on.

Work had been a bear, and I know that's probably a lot of it. I've been so busy lately working 9-10 hours a day, plus weekends. Last week was extra insane...pulled a couple really late days, plus I was on call. This week (so far) seems a little more manageable, but we found out that the support transition that will free up a lot of my day to day time is now postponed until the first part of next month. But at least I will stay occupied right?

We had Ashley's first TBQ match on Saturday which was fun. She was rockin' it and quizzed out a couple times as well as took individual high score in several matches. So far she seems to be much more comfortable than last year and doing WAY better all around. She really likes it too which is great. She gets to hang out with good people, fill herself with the word, and gets to have some healthy competition. I'm glad she found something she enjoys. She took 3rd place individual over all, and their team tied for first place with win/loss record but took second based on total points. Not too bad for the first match...especially considering her team only has two people now!

Saturday night was my friend's bachelor party. We all went over to his place and had a lan party which was fun. Lots of junk food and soda and video games. I had to bail early (if you call midnight early) since I had stuff to do in the morning but it was a good time. They ended up playing until about 5am which is crazy if you ask me (that's my inner old timer talking) but he had a blast so that's what matters. Next weekend he becomes a married man.

Sunday we were super busy. We had our normal JBQ practice first thing. The kids are all doing so well and studying lots. They were all buzzing in and getting answers....so proud of them. We brought in Trouble and had them play the game by answering correctly. The boys were talking smack (of course) and were in the lead at first, but the girls came back and destroyed them. Pride comes before the fall fellas. But they had fun and Sarah brought them treats which they loved. Of course, we didn't bring anything to drink so I had to run to the Chevron and grab some juices.

After that, Sarah and I were responsible for running kid's church this week. The kid's church is temporarily without a pastor so we volunteered to help out this week. Well, according to Sarah I volunteered and she was just my helper. So anyway, right after JBQ we had to start setting up for that. It went well, and they all seemed to have fun....we even got a kudos from the pastor's son which was cool. I enjoyed it, but I can't see us doing it all the time, especially with all the other stuff we're already involved in. Sometimes I feel we're stretched too thin as it is, but we were glad to help out.

Sunday afternoon was supposed to be my resting time, but Sarah wasn't feeling well so she went to bed. I took Ashley to TBQ and then Jaden wanted to play some videogames with his dad so I played with him a bit. I started to finally doze off a bit around 5:15 but then Ashley was home and it was time to start thinking about dinner and stuff. Oh well, that's the life of busy parents. I can sleep when I'm dead! HAHA

Sarah made some super yummy chicken noodle soup for dinner and I made some biscuits and a chocolate cake for dessert. So glad its getting cooler and we can have soups again. Looking forward to making my creamy tomato soup soon....AW YEAH!!!!

This week the kids only have school Mon - Wed and then they are out for their fall break for a week and a half. We have parent teacher conferences on Tuesday (can't wait for Sarah to meet J's teacher....note to self, stay between them to minimize any possible damage), and I think I have a dentist appointment sometime this week too...hooray for that. Wednesday is BSU family football night at the church. Snacks, fellowship and the game on a giant screen...doesn't get much better. Then on Saturday is the wedding. Lots to do. Busy, busy, busy. But it keeps me out of trouble.

Oh yeah! The best thing is our fast is over on the 15th so that means this week I can finally have coffee again!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU GOD!!!!!!!!! I have missed coffee. I'll have to take Sarah for our free Starbucks. Can't wait!

Well I better jet, work beckons. But I leave you with this. My devotional talked today about Barnabas (whose name means "son of encouragement") and how we should try to be an encourager. You can be a Barnabas, an encourager, because everybody needs encouragement. And everyone needs help. Everyone stumbles and falls in some way, shape, or form. Everyone has their down days, even the heroes of life. They may wake up on the wrong side of the bed, be feeling a little cranky, or don't always have the perfect answer for every question. They are human like you are. They need someone to just encourage them. So be an encourager.

3 comments:

  1. I'm gonna start calling you Barnabas.

    And. For the record, I firmly believe that playing video games with your son is RELAXING! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babe, I love you . Have you ever played video games with our son? Let me tell you, its not as relaxing as you think. The boy needs constant stimulation which means we switch games about every 10 minutes or he gets bored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds kind of like my husband..hmmm

    ;)

    And..did you know that children sitting playing video games only fuels the tendency to need to be constantly stimulated by new things?

    Love you love you :)

    ReplyDelete